Motorcycle accidents can be quite devastating. Although they are not as frequent they tend to result in fatal injuries or even death. Statistics show that there are 35 times more deaths from these types of accidents than from car accidents. If you are lucky to survive a motorcycle accident it’s important to remain calm and take the right steps. Remember what you do after an accident will eventually have a significant impact on the insurance coverage and legal disputes related to the accident. Hiring an Aventura motorcycle accident injury lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve.
There are a few things to do after being involved in a motorcycle accident:
- Check yourself and others for injuries – This is the most important thing to do. Immediately call 911 if you or anybody involved in the accident was injured. Making that call doesn’t mean you are responsible for the accident.
- Take good photos – You need to make sure the scene is safe and take good pics. Cell phones always come in handy. You can take photos from a variety of angles. Document the motorcycle and any other vehicles involved together with circumstances surrounding the accident.
- Make sure you move your bike off the road – Your bicycle should be removed from the road as it may become a hazard, especially at night, causing other accidents and injuries you may also be responsible for.
- Gather as much info as you can – Sometimes you are not able to call 911 but you can contact the local police department. This is helpful as the police officer will draw up a police report. This will work to your advantage as it has details about your case. You can also speak to witnesses, other drivers, and even passengers to help you gather important information. Some things to include are: other party’s vehicle info and contact info, officer’s name and badge number, police report number, vehicle’s VIN, and insurance company contact info for individuals involved in the accident.
- Contact your insurance – An Aventura motorcycle accident injury lawyer is very helpful during this step. Sometimes you are innocent but the other parties say it was actually your fault. Also, you may have significant injuries from your accident, or perhaps the insurance company denied your claim. An attorney can help you get the rightful compensation for any damages received.
When losing a loved one in a motorcycle accident
It’s natural to feel frustrated and angry when losing a loved one in one of these devastating accidents. These types of cases may require filing a wrongful death lawsuit and have an attorney evaluate all the legalities. Although you will not get your loved one back, you will keep our roads safe and stop other people from losing their lives due to someone’s reckless driving.
Get the help you need
It’s never too late to ask for help. Contact Neufeld Law Firm today and schedule your initial consultation.