South Florida has always had a reputation for bad drivers. Whether it is drunk drivers, uninsured drivers or people distracted by their cell phones, there is no shortage of dangers on South Florida’s roadways. So which city are you more likely to be involved in a car accident–Miami or Fort Lauderdale? The popular opinion is Miami due to its larger population and urban sprawl. But statistical data by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration draws a completely different conclusion. Fort Lauderdale is more dangerous and it is not even close.
The numbers are shocking. Fort Lauderdale ranks as the most dangerous city to drive in the United States. The NHTSA study focused on car accident fatality rates. Although Miami has nearly twice as many drivers, there is a higher rate of car accident fatalities in Fort Lauderdale. In 2015, there were 22.39 deaths for every 100,000 people involved in car accidents in Fort Lauderdale. Many more are seriously injured. So why is Fort Lauderdale such a dangerous place for drivers? Here are some reasons:
- Influx of international drivers: Fort Lauderdale is drawing more international visitors who are unfamiliar with American driving laws.
- Tourists unfamiliar with local roads: Although GPS technology has helped more people navigate the roadways smoothly, there are still many drivers who get lost and make poor driving decisions.
- Spring Breakers: Fort Lauderdale has always been a popular place for college students to spend Spring Break. Unfortunately, many of these young drivers are under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
- Proximity of I-95: Interstate 95 is one of the busiest and most dangerous roads in South Florida. It is a major artery that runs through the heart of Fort Lauderdale and is filled with motorists traveling at high speeds.
- New Yorkers: It may sound like a funny reason. But Fort Lauderdale has a huge a visitors from New York who are learning to drive.
Car accidents in Fort Lauderdale are no laughing matter. Far too many motorists are injured in wrecks caused by the negligence of others. In addition to the physical and emotional pain suffered by victims, it can result in high medical bills, lost wages from missed work days. Many people are now discovering new modes of transportation. Smartphone apps, such as Uber and Lyft, have become popular alternatives. But it does not necessarily guarantee your safety.
As the population of Fort Lauderdale continues to grow, the dangers on the city’s roadways are not going to disappear anytime soon. An accident can happen at any time. If you are injured in a car accident due to the negligence of another driver, it is vital to seek immediate representation from a Fort Lauderdale car accident lawyer with an extensive track record of looking after the best interests of each client. An attorney can protect your rights, prepare your paperwork and provide the necessary legal counsel and advice to recover a maximum settlement to cover all your expenses. But if you continue to drive in Fort Lauderdale, remember your mother’s wise words, “Look both ways.”