Tractor trailer / big rig accidents cause thousands of injuries and deaths across the U.S. each year. Many of these tragedies could be avoided by observing and using some of the following safety tips:
- Check your rage level; never allow someone else’s behavior to dictate your own.
- Be aware that it is a proven fact: Large trucks have an area referred to as a no zone, which prevents them from seeing you with their side mirrors if you are driving too closely to the rear of their truck. This translates into a recipe for disaster if they must suddenly apply their brakes, since merely tapping their brakes could cause you to plow into them; perhaps even forcing your vehicle underneath their truck. Twenty to twenty-five car lengths from the back or front of the truck is considered the rule of thumb for proper safety precautions.
- Always signal in advance of changing lanes whether from the rear or from the front. Doing so alerts the truck driver, and often prevents them from swerving suddenly and losing control of their 40 ton vehicle.
- When changing back into the same lane with a truck, stay the rule of thumb distance in front of them to avoid their need to suddenly apply their brakes.
- Do not make a sudden turn in front of a 40 ton truck; doing so will likely cost you your life, and the lives of any passengers you have traveling with you. Remember, a 40 ton truck; approximately 80 feet long, will take three times longer to stop than an automobile weighing three tons.
- When driving along the roadways with truck traffic, drive defensively, always projecting ahead to what you will do if…. This is also good to remember when driving at any time, and with any type of vehicles.
Miami Truck Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been injured in a tractor trailer accident, contact Miami truck accident lawyers at Neufeld, Kleinberg & Pinkiert for a free consultation to discuss your best legal options to receive the compensation you deserve.